Canon Unveils the New G1X Compact Camera
The G1X has been fitted with a large sensor to compete with mirrorless compact cameras
by Eric Aubort
Ideal for photography enthusiasts looking for the highest image quality in a compact, point-and-shoot design, the Canon PowerShot G1 X camera features the largest sensor to date for a Canon point-and-shoot model - and could be a great option for people not looking to change lenses.
Read our new Canon G1X Review
Canon G1X Key Features
- Slightly larger sensor than a mirrorless camera - very nice!
- Slightly larger body that a mirrorless camera
- F2.8-F5.8 28mm-112mm non-changeable lens
- poor macro cability, but this may be fixable with a diopter
- 1/2000th sync speed - very nice for using a fill flash in bright conditions
- Articulated LCD screen
- Built-in image stabilization, claiming 4 stops improvement
- 14 megapixel sensor
- Battery rated for 250 shots (without flash), not great
- $799 retail price
- The camera has a brand new, large 1.5-inch (18.7 x 14mm), 14.3-megapixel High-Sensitivity Canon CMOS sensor
- Delivering shallow depth of field and a wide dynamic range
- ISO range of up to 12800 and incredible light gathering ability helping to ensure brilliant images in even tough low-light conditions.
Image of Canon G1X sensor-Courtesy of Canon USA.
- The new 1.5" sensor is six times larger than Canon's latest G12 model.
- 4X Optical Zoom
- An aperture of f/2.8 to f/16 for beautiful images when shooting portraits and amazing clarity when shooting landscapes
- Wide-angle capabilities starting at 28mm
- Poor macro capability without a diopter, close focus distance is 20cm at 28mm, 85cm at 112mm
- 14-bit, RAW+JPEG shooting
- HDR Shooting has been included to ensure the best possible shot is captured
- Full HD 1080p video
- Speedlite, Macro Twin Lite or the Macro Ring Light flashes
LCD Screen and Controls
- Bright, large 3.0-inch vari-angle LCD with 922,000 dots of resolution
- The inclusion of the Mode Dial on the top of the camera and the Front Dial helps provide more intuitive control of the camera.
Rotational LCD Screen
Features and Specifications:
- 14.3mp CMOS (1.5inch) Sensor (1/1.5″ probably)
4x Zoom (28-112)
Multiarea White Balance
FullHD 1080p Video
720P Movie Digest Mode
Estimated Price: $800.00
Estimated Delivery: February 2012
Click below to see Canon's promotional video for the G1X:
Support the Underwater Photography Guide
Please support the Underwater Photography Guide by purchasing your underwater photography gear through our sister site, Bluewater Photo & Video. Click, or call them at (310) 633-5052 for expert advice!